List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Compile problem on BSDI 2.0.1
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1998-08-27 13:29:13

Tkachenko Sergiy wrote:
>  I have problems with compiling kdelibs-1.0 on following mashine:
>
>   BSDI/OS 2.0.1
>   gcc 2.6.3
>   qt 1.40
>   xfree86 3.3.2 without latest paches
>
>   gcc says: virtual memory exhausted
>   Does it mean that I don't have enought memory in swap ?

I found that when compiling on a BSDi system, there's a hard limit to the size
of any given process; the amount of physical RAM you have in the machine.
Regardless of how much swap space you've got, if you only have, say, 32MB of
RAM, then you can only ever have processes as large as 32MB (which gcc
frequently exceeds).  Ran into this problem myself when trying to compile some
harsh C++ stuff on a BSDi box and found that it wanted more than 80MB with
optimizations and we only had 64MB.  No way around this that I'm aware of.
Sorry.

--
Graham TerMarsch

// When in doubt, do what the President does -- guess.