List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Why NT is better than KDE/UNIX
From:       mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1998-08-19 15:12:41

I specialize in setting up client/server solution for businesses using
primarily DEC OSF/1 as the server and Linux/X as the client components. I used
to use SCO, but that's not really on topic.

My reason for using Unix/KDE is not simply that I like Unix's effeciency. It
is a valued tool in getting my job done. On an identical DEC AlphaServer 4000 I
could support 500+ data entry people easily on Oracle. With NT we max out at
around 150. On the Intel side, when was the last system admin you met who has
counted more than 4 months (or 4 weeks for that matter) uptime using NT. I know
quite a few people, including myself, who have logged much longer than that
using Linux. People who have large enterprise wide applications other than file
sharing and must have at least a predictable uptime schedule cannot use NT. Any
company with more than say 200 people will run into problems, which many have
found out the hard way.

As far as KDE is concerned, I found out a long time ago that running Windows X
servers on the client side of an application is really, really slow. This is
the primary complaint I get from users. The situation has improved somewhat,
but not by much. Thus I have taken to providing people with PC's running Unix
(now Linux) and X natively. This has greatly improved their application's GUI's
speed. The only problem is that these are Windows users, with little if any
Unix experience. I used to use a hacked up Fvwm2 that pretty much just launched
applications on the server. Now with KDE, I can provide my users with a much
more complete computing environment.