List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing
From:       Paul Seelig <pseelig () goofy ! zdv ! Uni-Mainz ! de>
Date:       1998-07-16 5:37:43

shutton@gte.net (Steve Hutton) writes:

> On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Paul Seelig wrote:
> >konold@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de (Martin Konold) writes:
> >
> >> Please compare the memeory consump[tion of kpanel and the GNOME panel
> >> please and tell us what you did discover!
> >>
> >Just for the record: the GNOME panel does work as expected practically
> >standalone, while kpanel needs at least KFM running to be of any use.
> >Now one can really compare the memory footprint!  The kpanel is
> >actually useless when run on it's own.  So please don't compare apples
> >with oranges.
>
> I've recently come to learn that the reason GNOME is better than KDE
> is that all of their developers have GIANT-SIZED BRAINS.  From what I
> understand, they are some sort of superhuman cyborgs with vast intelligence,
> even rivaling the developers at PIXAR!  I don't know about you guys, but
> that was all I needed to hear to make my decison.
>
> Steve
> (Looking into Cryogenics, to find out the cost of freezing GNOME developer
> brains for future societies to study and perhaps even revive ;-)

I don't know why you choose to make up such strange answers (i almost
take it for granted that you tried to insult me based on the slashdot
discussion, or what!?) to a posting of more technical nature.  I hate
this kind of attitude you've obviously fallen for. :-(

I personally am not a KDE basher of any kind, but do like to compare
and critique the relative merits and shortcomings of both projects.
KDE is IMHO still not perfect at all and these shortcomings have to be
addressed somehow, even by way of objective comparison between GNOME
and KDE components.  And seen from the technical point of view i don't
see any flaw in the way i tried to point out a very weak point within
KDE.  I'm no GNOME fanatic although i do like it a lot for it's own
sake like i like KDE as well.  It's just that i personally am not very
happy with both and therefore do prefer a really fine window manager
like WindowMaker over a not yet done GNOME and a resource hog like
KDE.  Anything wrong with that?  Anything wrong with pointing out
KDE's weak points with constructive criticism for KDE's own good?  So
why did you try to kind of flame me with such silly remarks?

My personal opinion is that if KDE and GNOME fail to work together
somehow in the future both projects will have been in vain.  Free
software is actually about cooperation and sharing and i'm very sad
about the fact, that the gnome-kde mailing list is not at all
frequented from both sides.  And i'm even more sad that both sides
accuse each other about not being cooperative and this way clearly
demonstrate their own unwillingness of working together.  Your overly
sarcastic posting, Steve, is a testament for this kind of attitude.

                               Thank you, P. *8^(
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------
   --------------- http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig -----------------