List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Compiling on FreeBSD
From:       Kevin Street <street () iname ! com>
Date:       1998-05-31 7:12:39

Alex writes:
>On 18 May 1998, Kevin Street wrote:
>
>> Oh, you're right.  kppp builds ok now - it'd been a while since I
>> tried it last.   I have compiled kuser before, but it didn't really
>> understand the FreeBSD passwd set up.  As I recall it wanted to change
>> /etc/passwd rather than /etc/master.passwd and didn't rebuild the real
>> db files pwd.db and spwd.db.  For FreeBSD it should also have an entry
>> field for the login class for the user.  I've been meaning to dig in
>> and fix it for FreeBSD.  --without-shadow does fix the build though, thanks.
>
>It's a fairly well written program.  While there are some typos, which
>might cause you to chase your semantical tail like a dog, I think it
>should be easy enough to extend, although a better hack might be
>incorporate vipw and kuser.

Done!  A few days after my original post I found some free time and
did the patches for kuser on FreeBSD.  I submitted them to Denis about
a week ago and he put them in CVS right away.  It should compile now
either with or without the shadow defines (it ignores it on FreeBSD).
On FreeBSD kuser now edits /etc/master.passwd and then calls
/usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb to update the rest of the files.  I don't have
quotas on my system so I don't know if that part works.  I think
Denis is still tinkering with the quota code anyway - I saw some cvs
changes go through in that area after my patches went in.

Back up your password files and give kuser a shot and see what you think.
--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com