List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       fractture <fract () sprintmail ! com>
Date:       1998-04-05 20:33:05

> > The GPL doesn't restrict porting.  How about a license similar to the
> > GPL but says that it MAY NOT be ported to anything besides UNIX???

\
Lets not start to restrict people from porting good software to other systems.
That would null the point of 'Free Software'.

  The only time Troll Tech makes money is when
> you develop Commercial Software.  The Only thing the GPL prevents is
> the development of commercial software.

I was under the impression that GPLed code WAS commercial.
Unlike a public domain (or like) licence, which only allows you to distribute code \
without charging.  GPL actually encurages developers to modify the code and sell it \
if they wish, as long as the new code is GPLed also and documented.
This is further confirmed by the statement on the Gnu webpage...if someone you are \
trying to get to use the software says 'Well, I don't trust anything non-commercial' \
then you can say 'Well, actually it is.' This is why I was kind of wondering how \
software using QT could be released under the GPL, seems to me the 2 licences are \
countering.....sort of like the GIF thing.   People like RedHat or other commercial \
disdtributions would (seemingly by the QTlicence) be unable to distribute KDE, or \
anything using QT, with thier commercial system.

That is why I was surprised to find KDE was distributed under the GPL instead of
some sort of 'FreeWare' licence simular to GPL, but preventing the sale of it.

Also, the only reason I can see in creating a FreeQT is to allow the GPL licence
to be placed on code made with it....without the interpretive problems with
the GPL+QTLicence..  Anything else is sort of...yeah, taking away from Troll Tech, \
which I don't believe should be done if we want commercial developers to take us at \
all seriously.