List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Hurricane and KDM
From:       "Russ Steffen" <rsteffen () ia ! net>
Date:       1998-03-26 12:55:33

On 26-Mar-98, Michael and Tanja <dvoid@fullcomp.com.au> wrote:

> Now I'm new to this list so sorry if it an old topic
> However, I (and about 4 other people in this little town) am having now end
> of trouble setting up KDM under RH5.0.
>
> XDM works....starts up KDE no probs, but when I replace the call for xdm
> with KDM (like the way it says in the help),  KDM starts at boot (after
> displaying the normal login prompt for a while) but when I log in, it just
> drops back to the console login prompt.

I had the same problem, it turned out to be a problem with the PAM library
configureation. I changed the file /etc/pam.d/xdm to read:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required	/lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok use_authtok
#session    required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
^
|- note the comment on the last line.

KDM worked as advertised after that.

Russ