List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE enhanced shell?
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-02-25 22:13:17

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, infected? wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 1998 at 06:59:45PM +0100, weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
> > That would be really cool. It wont go in the official bash
> > distribution, but its cool!
>
> hmmm, i think it would be a lot better to do an official KDE kernel hack
> with some KDE specific enhancements:
>
> for example the filesystem should send FS information to an output stream
> for example /dev/filesystem or so...
> the format could be something like: "CREATE /home/user/file"
> "NEWSIZE /home/user/file", "DELETE /home/user/file"
> and so on... this wouldn't break the kernel and would make KDE
> apps that want to be informed about the filesystem to monitor it
> without refreshing every few seconds.
>
> But how could this be done with OSes that don't supply the kernel source
> like Linux does ?

Well, I would prefer doing it without the kernel patch. That would be
just too dangerous (and too much work).

The Right Way (tm) to do it is by mounting filesystems on different places,
and using a custom NFS server to reach them.

For example, you mount what should be /home to /dont_look/home.
Then you start the weird NFS server, export /dont_look/home, and
mount *the NFS filesystem* as /home.
The NFS server, then, reports to the monitoring programs of FS changes.

Cons: slow, bug-prone (at the beginning at least), locking
becomes a problem, monitoring / would be a royal pain...

Pros: NFS servers are rather easy to implement, you can't really break
things (the FS gets accessed in a normal way, not by half baked code),
portable.

> I don't know, but as the majority of users uses Linux
> it still makes sense to do a Linux specific Kernel patch...
> We could call it KKP(kde kernel patch) or something like that and add some
> other extra funcionality (know the linux penguin kernel patch
> that displays a small pinguin while booting? we could add a fullscreen
> win95 like (but kized) bootup logo) to it.

Also, look at userfs for a easier linux-only solution.

PS: Of course I don't want to be within a mile of this particular project
until it reaches 1.0 ;-)

Best regards.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).