List:       kde
Subject:    Re: AFS socket problem
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-02-14 2:00:03

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Alex wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
> > > I wasn't the person who reported the bug.  However, IIRC the bug was that
> > > non root users couldn't create sockets.  This would obviously not be a
> > > problem for most X servers which are suid by default.  However, this could
> > > easily be a configuration, or cross platform problem.
> >
> > I think we need a more methodic analysis here.
> > Whoever reported the problem, please contact me, and we will make a
> > couple of small experiments, if he doesn't mind, so we can clear this.
>
> I think it's barely a KDE bug, more so of AFS (or other exported file
> systems)..  However, I for one think that KDE should stick its sockets
> where the X servers do.  This pretty much guarantees the ability to create
> sockets.  If need be, a suid daemon might be a good idea (port n+getuid()
> perhaps).

Yes, the thing is that *some* implementations of NFS servers don't let
non-root users create sockets.

I am not sure yet if NFS exports with root_squash can be used to create
sockets at all.

If you can do it even with root_squash, the the problem is maybe not in the
servers, but in some client implementations.

AFS doesn't seem to support them at all.

I don't expect SMB to support them either (any tests?).

Of course making kfm suid root is too dangerous to even think about it :-)

So, that leaves us with a daemon like Alex suggests, or returning to
kfm's old TCP sockets if this approach fails (and the localhost questions
will comeback, too! :-)

I don't like any of these options, but can't think of any others...

Just another one: if root can create the sockets: just a very tiny suid
program that creates the socket and exits?

Can kfm use a socket he didn't create?

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).