List:       kde
Subject:    Re: AFS socket problem
From:       Alex <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1998-02-13 19:04:49

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Roberto Alsina wrote:

> > I wasn't the person who reported the bug.  However, IIRC the bug was that
> > non root users couldn't create sockets.  This would obviously not be a
> > problem for most X servers which are suid by default.  However, this could
> > easily be a configuration, or cross platform problem.
>
> I think we need a more methodic analysis here.
> Whoever reported the problem, please contact me, and we will make a
> couple of small experiments, if he doesn't mind, so we can clear this.

I think it's barely a KDE bug, more so of AFS (or other exported file
systems)..  However, I for one think that KDE should stick its sockets
where the X servers do.  This pretty much guarantees the ability to create
sockets.  If need be, a suid daemon might be a good idea (port n+getuid()
perhaps).

> [snip]
> > I <shameless plug> was more impressed by PicoBSD, a complete
> > text based OS and major utilities (networking, etc..) on a 1.44mb floppy.
> > </plug>
>
> <shameless type=plug mode=reply>
> You mean like Linux's DLX one-floppy distribution ;-)
> I have squeezed it into a 1.2 floppy also.
> </shameless>

Yup somethin like that ;-)

- alex

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.