List:       kde
Subject:    Re: GNOME Desktop Project
From:       Francisco Rodrigo Escobedo Robles <frer () vnet ! es>
Date:       1997-08-19 17:28:05

Hello.

> > The problem with cloning qt is finding people to do it. The source
> > code to qt is so easily available that I think you might have trouble
> > finding qualified and willing people who haven't been "tainted". For
>
> Here I am!  I have never seen the source for Qt.  I'm not a "qualified"
> X programmer yet, but I would like to try cloning this toolkit. If there
> is a more qualified X programmer listening, it's better that you do it,
[...]
> Where can I find a complete description of the Qt interface, without
> details of the implementation?

I haven't read a line about Qt internals, nor do I have right now the time to
contribute; but a secret of the trade is: when you are going to make a
"compatible" design without copying, you need 2 teams. One reads the source
and write specifications without resorting to details; and the other works the
other way, taking the specifications and writing code that does the same
function.

Of course, the only communication path allowed between the 2 teams is the
specs :)

Just an idea...

Regards.

---
Francisco Rodrigo Escobedo Robles - Sending from home
ax25:ea7abo - mailto:frer@vnet.es - http://www.vnet.es/~frer/
This message is just my opinion right now