List:       kde
Subject:    Re: system administration part of kde ?
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! edu ! au>
Date:       1997-08-20 9:24:58

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Uwe Rathmann wrote:

> IMO putting all system adminstation together in an easy way is an
> essentially goal of a desktop-environment. But I'am not sure if this
> should be part of KDE or an additional project on top of it.
> Or is this topic beyond the scope of the KDE-project.

Well, it sorta is and sorta isnt. There are a lot of projects trying to
provide a centralized administration system for linux (don't know about
UNIX in general). So there would be two ways of doing this...

1. Build a front end to an existing admin system.
	Probably the easier one. Anyone willing to tackle this one? :)

2. Build one from scratch
	This one will take a lot of foresight and great design discipline.
	Definitely a lot of work, because ideally it will need to
	encorporate systems that it may not know about at design time, a
	sorted of "Abstract Subsystem" approach.

> PS. please don't tell me if you want it, do it. This excludes people
> with less time (like me) from discussing.

Oh, we keep that response only for hecklers. :)

-Taj.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
School of Physics    Univ of Melbourne   http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/~ssk/