List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] What is baloo_file_extractor and why is it humping	my	hard drive?
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2014-04-18 13:18:31

Kevin Krammer posted on Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:44:59 +0200 as excerpted:

> I think the indexing should be disabled by default but not the search
> itself. That way it can be used in applications instead of each
> developer rolling their own but not having something go off an
> unannounced.
>
> File indexing could then be offered when a user starts searching e.g. in
> Dolphin.

Now that's a very reasonable idea. =:^)  Have it stay off until the user
is actually searching for something, at which point they'll expect some
disk churn, etc.

I remember activating kde's help indexing for some app or other, some
time ago.  It took awhile, and the answer took awhile as a result, but it
was optional, and I triggered it when I wanted, and when I was prepared
to wait.  I let it do its thing and did something else, coming back to it
later.

The point is, that was entirely optional -- I could have ignored the help
indexing and searched some other way -- so it was done only when I
triggered it, and it was done only when I wanted and expected the disk
(tha was before my SSDs) churn as a result.

It was also just the help for that specific app that I indexed.  Most
other apps either didn't have enough help content to be worth it, or just
as importantly, I didn't value the additional search opportunities
afforded highly enough to make it worth it for me, so they remained
unindexed, which was perfectly fine by me. =:^)

I think had that sort of approach been taken to this whole semantic-
desktop thing, it wouldn't have had anything at all like the push-back
from others, and certainly from me, that it got.  Unfortunately...