Kevin Krammer posted on Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:44:59 +0200 as excerpted: > I think the indexing should be disabled by default but not the search > itself. That way it can be used in applications instead of each > developer rolling their own but not having something go off an > unannounced. > > File indexing could then be offered when a user starts searching e.g. in > Dolphin. Now that's a very reasonable idea. =:^) Have it stay off until the user is actually searching for something, at which point they'll expect some disk churn, etc. I remember activating kde's help indexing for some app or other, some time ago. It took awhile, and the answer took awhile as a result, but it was optional, and I triggered it when I wanted, and when I was prepared to wait. I let it do its thing and did something else, coming back to it later. The point is, that was entirely optional -- I could have ignored the help indexing and searched some other way -- so it was done only when I triggered it, and it was done only when I wanted and expected the disk (tha was before my SSDs) churn as a result. It was also just the help for that specific app that I indexed. Most other apps either didn't have enough help content to be worth it, or just as importantly, I didn't value the additional search opportunities afforded highly enough to make it worth it for me, so they remained unindexed, which was perfectly fine by me. =:^) I think had that sort of approach been taken to this whole semantic- desktop thing, it wouldn't have had anything at all like the push-back from others, and certainly from me, that it got. Unfortunately... -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman ___________________________________________________ This message is from the kde mailing list. Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde. Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.