List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Prompted Restore Session
From:       John Woodhouse <a_johnlonger () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2013-07-16 11:44:22

I have it turned off on opensuse 4.6 as the behavior with the number of fil=
es on my machine was unacceptable. Not just lockout either. Sort of suggest=
s that the don't use is problematic as well. It can be turned off on 4.10 t=
oo but the kmail aspect is left on and changes greyed out. Speed I recently=
 saw a complaint about email import time on the recent releases - fast pass=
 20min or more was mentioned can't remember. I'm just repeating it. Also th=
e usual mention of bloatware which isn't the problem really.

One thing that struck me was using file indexing on windows in comparison. =
That went out as an option. I had no choice about using windows at work. En=
abled on a reasonably recent machine there was no sign of it being in opera=
tion. Working on software so there were plenty of files around. I would alw=
ays copy my entire hard disc into the new machine. When enabled the 1st thi=
ng it did was build the index. Took a while but not objectionably long seco=
nds rather than mins. By my nature I can't help wondering how they do it. S=
ay  I guessed that thinking about journaling might be a clue. Say the index=
 is there but changes are kept separately and written to the main index as =
a back ground task with due thought to disk cache sizes and flushing and wh=
en it's done etc. One thing for sure there were no signs of it being in ope=
ration at all. I would very much doubt that they use the same thing for ema=
il as the needs are entirely different.  One is only really
 interested in changes to the directory/file trees so they might even just =
update the index as things are changed. That way all a user might notice is=
 a very marginal increase in disk write times - highly unlikely especially =
as they are most likely to be causing the change :-) My suggestion initial =
thought is probably over the top. Actually it's a bit tongue in the cheek m=
ad.

John
-