List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] simple / dble click
From:       Ladislav Strojil <Ladislav.Strojil () seznam ! cz>
Date:       2001-11-26 17:20:14

Dne po 26. listopad 2001 13:45 Julien Olivier napsal(a):
> Hi
>
> I'm just wondering: why is "open on simple click" the default mouse
> behaviour ?

Because it is better.

> I mean, it's not really easy for newbies to re-learn the way to use a
> mouse. I see lots of people who double-click on link on the Desktop and get
> two apps instead of one.

Go, change it. And let those who do not have bad experience with so called OS
have it their way. Linux/KDE should not be a school for ex-windows users. It
should live its own life.

> More over, it's far easier to select one/multiple files with double-click
> enabled. I still don't know how to do it without using my keyboard when
> using simple click.

Hold down CTRL and select them. You can't select file1 and file3 in Windows
without keyboard either.

> Of course you'll say that 2ble click is windowish while simple click is
> more modern, more webish (hmm...).

No, it's just much more comfortable.

> The fact is that double click is more
> convenient.

Why?
My mother has problems doing double click so she has to single click and then
press Enter. I can't even set the double click to slower, because then she is
bound to move the mouse between the clicks.

> I also know you'll say that it's customizable but I think that
> the default option is VERY important because in 90% of the cases, people
> don't change it.

Yes, and that is why it is very importat to have it set the "right way"(tm)
not the way ex-windows users want it.

> One more thing, renaming a file by clicking on its name while it's selected
> is a very good idea. It should be enabled in KDE too.

Hmmm. Pressing F2 is better idea. You have to put your hands on keyboard
anyway if you want to write a new name.
Moreover, I don't really do much file renaming - especially when compared to
running programs.

> Everything upper is just my opinion but I'm sure it's shared by lots of
> people.

And disgreed by the other lot.

Cheers,
Lada