List:       kc-kde
Subject:    Re: [kc-kde] Re: maintainership of KDE Traffic
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () uai ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-11-08 11:51:48

On Saturday 08 November 2003 06:59, Peter Rockai (mornfall) wrote:
> Ok, so send them to the list (in the proposed format if possible), we
> can merge. Also please post your intro, i will look whether it would be
> possible to merge these, too.

The attached file contains both my intro (rewritten to reflect the fact
that we are a team now) and two summaries I have ready here. The other
summaries I have match the ones already sent to this list.

Please proof-read that for me.

> Oh my... In the first place, i am not subscribed to all the lists i
> cover. I use knode and the oh-so-cool gmane gateway (ie - i read the
> lists in a newsreader). So i don't have mboxen of the lists available.
> At least i can do without the stats... If you can't live without them, i
> think you will have to do them yourself.

I'll try to think about a method of reincluding the statistics as soon as
possible.

> > I can cover kde, kde-devel, kde-core-devel, kde-extra-gear,
> > kde-usability and kde-i18n-doc. I'm also subscribed to kde-bugs-dist,
> > but I guess you don't want that covered :)
> >
> > Anne-Marie Mahfouf offered to cover kde-edu.
> >
> > What can you cover?
>
> I can do kde-devel, kde-core-devel, kmail, kde-pim, kde-optimize,
> kfm-devel, quanta-devel (or what is it called) and koffice-devel.

Proposal:

Anne-Marie covers kde-edu

I cover kde-i18n-doc, kde-usability, kde-extra-gear, kde, kde-devel and
kde-core-devel

Peter covers kmail, kde-pim, kde-optimize, kfm-devel, quanta and
koffice-devel

> I have hacked together simple cooperative buildsystem, which works like
> this: i drop individual summary files into a directory
> (kc-kde-<issuenumber>) in something.d style (01-intro.xml 10-kicker.xml
> ...) and it generates and validates the resulting kc-kde-<issue>.xml,
> which can be sent to Zack (if i understand it correctly).

Can you please provide it to me?

> OK, we can standardize on Sunday.

So our first issue will be KDE Traffic #67 for Nov 9, 2003.

> > What do you think? Would that be good for the KDE project?
>
> Good idea, i will include it.

I've already included it in the file I'm attaching.

--
	Henrique Pinto
	stampede@uai.com.br

["kde20031109_67.xml" (text/xml)]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO8859-1" ?>

<kc>

<title>KDE Traffic</title>

<author contact="mailto:kc-kde@kde.org">The KDE Traffic Team</author>

<issue num="67" date="09 Nov 2003 00:00:00" />

<headquote>

If you like KDE Traffic, please consider making a donation to the KDE project.
Visit <a href="http://www.kde.org/support/">http://www.kde.org/support/</a> for  \
details. </p>

</headquote>

<intro>
Welcome to KDE Traffic!

After a short break, KDE Traffic is back. Russell Miller, our previous mantainer, \
announced, in a <a href="http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&amp;m=106656811927174&amp;w=2">message</a> \
sent to the kde-devel and kde-core-devel mailing lists, that, due to personal \
reasons, he wouldn't be able to work on KDE Traffic anymore. In order not to let KDE \
Traffic vanish, some people offered to take over the mantainership, therefore \
creating the KDE Traffic Team, that will be issuing KDE Traffic from now on. </p>

We would like to thank Russell Miller for all he has done for KDE Traffic and for the \
KDE Community as a whole. Know that your contibutions were really appreciated by us \
all. </p>

Some notes:
<ul>

<li>
We won't be including the statistics for this issue, because of technical problems. \
We hope to re-include them as soon as possible </li>

<li>
This issue covers the following mailing lists: kde, kde-devel, kde-core-devel, \
kde-extra-gear, kde-usability, kde-i18n-doc, kmail, kde-pim, kde-optimize, kfm-devel, \
quanta and koffice-devel. If you can help covering other mailing lists, please <a \
href="mailto:kc-kde@kde.org">contact us</a>. </li>

</ul>

We hope you like this issue!

</intro>

<section
   title="KStart"
   subject="Starting Desktop"
   posts="2"
   startdate="Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:22:42 -0500"
   enddate="Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:20:56 +0100"

<topic>KDE Tips</topic>

David Corbin asked:

<quote who="David Corbin">
Is there anyway, when launching an application, to tell it which "virtual
desktop" to start on?
</quote>

Christian Mueller replied:

<quote who="Christian Mueller">
kstart is what you want.<br/><br/>

e.g.<br/>
<pre>kstart --desktop 3 konsole</pre>
will start a konsole on desktop 3<br/><br/>

Read the help with<br/>
kstart --help
</quote>

If you didn't know about kstart, this may be the right moment to learn all it can do \
for you (and yes, it can do a lot more than telling an application in which desktop \
it should appear). </p>

There are many "tips and tricks" for KDE, as the one above. We'll be publishing some \
of them as they appear in the KDE mailinglists, as they can be really useful. If you \
want to learn more, there's also a tips page in the <a \
href="http://kde.ground.cz">KDE Community Wiki</a>. And, of course, you can add your \
own tips there, too... </p>

</section>

<section
   title="Qt License"
   subject="I don't understand the Qt licence?"
   author="Henrique Pinto"
   posts="3"
   startdate="Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:08:07 +0200"
   enddate="Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:45:29 +0200"

<topic>Licenses</topic>
<topic>Qt</topic>
<mention>Roberto Alsina</mention>
<mention>Waldo Bastian</mention>
<mention>Reinhold Kainhofer</mention>

The Qt dual-license scheme still confuses many people. Anguo, being one of them, \
asked: </p>

<quote who="Anguo">
I was getting ready to start developping a GPL'ed software
based on the Qt/KDE libraries, but a look at Trolltech's
website makes we wonder if this is at all legally possible
without paying their hefty licensing fees.

http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/freelicense.html</a>
<BR/>
"The Free Edition licenses do not allow the development or
distribution of commercial software."
The question is what is a commercial software?

http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licensing.html</a>
<BR/>
"Use the Qt Commercial License to:
*Build commercial software.
*Build software that is not sold, but that advances the
business goals of a commercial enterprise."

I wanted to start a GPL PointOfSale application project for
my future business, but the last point above makes me
wonder if I can do it.
What is a software that "advances the business goals of a
commercial enterprise"??? Kspread, Kmail or ever Konqueror
can be used in an entreprise setting for the advancement of
the business goals... Where do they draw the line between
commercial software and the other kind (????) of software.
I thought that I could built any GPL software using the Qt
libraries...
</quote>

Reinhold Kainhofer, Waldo Bastian and Roberto Alsina posted explaining him that Qt is \
dual-licensed, and the license he read was just one of the licenses under which Qt is \
released, so he could just use Qt under the GPL and ignore that license. </p>

</section>

</kc>