List:       jedit-users
Subject:    [ jEdit-users ] Dynamic / Programmatic Syntax Coloring
From:       Wildemar Wildenburger <wildemar () freakmail ! de>
Date:       2007-10-23 11:47:30

Hi group

I don't know how I would call the feature I'd like to see in jEdit, the
subject line beeing my best attempt. Would it be possible to allow for
highlighting parts of text that do not strictly follow a special syntax
but rather external criteria? So rather than highlighting via a static
XML description, one could add some Beanshell or Java code to the syntax
file that checks for certain conditions under certain circumstances.

The main use-case for me right now would be a WIKI-like set of text
files in which link-words are highlighted according to whether they link
to an existing entry or not.
Also, I'd like to (reliably and perhaps specially) highlight LaTeX
commands that I define in the preamble (though that is something one
could emulate though a modified latex mode definition).

That would require the colorizer to work a lot differently than it does
right now (I suppose), so maybe its too big a step at this point. I'd
like to hear what people think of that though.

/W