List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    Re: [JAXLUG] Cloning recommendations.
From:       Bruce-Robert Pocock <BRPocock () Sidereal ! Net>
Date:       2006-05-31 13:54:02

On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 21:20 -0400, Austin Denyer wrote:
> This did not initially produce the expected (at least, to me) results,
> as the 9.5GB partition I copied (with about 300MB free) to a 15GB
> partition also somehow resulted in around 300MB free...

For the record (as you've already fixed it yourself):

The size of the filesystem doesn't *have* to match the size of the
partition... it can be less. The only practical reason would be to
reduce a filesystem's size so you could then reduce the size of the
partition, but in this case, you were seeing the opposite.

The "quick" answer would be to find the partition's actual size (in e.g.
gparted or parted) and then use "resize2fs" to resize the filesystem to
match. The filesystem must be unmounted and fsck'ed first.

Going the other way, you'd use "resize2fs" to reduce a filesystem, then
use "parted" to reduce the partition to match, if e.g. you wanted to
free up space for another partition... but modern versions of parted
will do the resize for you, I think?