List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    Re: [JAXLUG] Gentoo: kernel panic  (bad to worse)
From:       Bruce-Robert Pocock <BRPocock () Sidereal ! Net>
Date:       2006-05-31 13:57:36

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 19:55 -0400, Tim Holloway wrote:

> I highly recommend keeping a copy of a Fedora install CD (disc 1) on
> hand. One of its boot options kicks you directly into the best/most
> thorough memory test I've ever experienced. It's completely standalone,
> just boots off the CD, so you don't have even have an OS installed. Or,
> for that matter, a disk drive!

Incidentally, it's "memtest86," and it can be booted from floppy or (if
your firmware supports it) USB also. You can also (on Fedora, Debian,
Ubuntu at least) add it to Grub by (pirut/yum, apt-get) installing the
memtest86 package. Suggest leaving it running for about 30..60 minutes
if you think your RAM might be flaking.