List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    [JaxLUG] Re: Help needed in FC2 kernel compiling
From:       "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith () ieee ! org>
Date:       2005-01-22 4:27:17

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 19:55, Wayne Hughes wrote:
> Hello to everyone on the list. I am trying to build my own bare bones kernel
> to run on my laptop. I'm using FC2 (which I have really grown to like).
> Anyway, I am getting hung up while trying to define parameters through the
> GUI (qconf). After I have copied the config file and typed 'make xconfig' I
> get a qconf window. it allows me to select parameters and save them.
> However, after I save them and exit, I issue the 'make dep' command and it
> throws back an error 'no need to make depat this time.' I know the 'make
> xconfig' works in RH9, but it isn't the same as qconf. Can someone clue me
> in on whaat I am missing? Thanks in advance.

There have been various changes both in the 2.6 kernel as well as in
Fedora Core.

For Fedora kernels, it is recommended you no longer build from the
/usr/src/linux directory, but from src.rpm.  Installing the src.rpm, add
your changes (e.g., config file) then use rpmbuild -bb
--target=(something) (other options) kernel.spec.

There are a few guides out there on how to do this.  It seems a bit
convoluted at first, but it's actually much more consistent and easier
to deal with IMHO.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux