List:       jaxlug-list
Subject:    Re: [JaxLUG] Fw: POSTGRES EXPERT PLEASE
From:       Tim Holloway <timh () mousetech ! com>
Date:       2004-03-26 20:47:37

1. The /var/lib/postgres and /var/lib/postgres/data directories should
have permissions for the postgres daemon user to read and write. Also
+x for the /var/lib/postgres directory for directory "aXcess".

2. You MAY have a broken install or parts of 2 incompatible installs. I
install PostgreSQL via RPMs these days and the locations for programs
and stuff there are slightly different. Also the RPM version uses
/var/lib/pgsql instead of postgres. That may be an init parameter - I
forget.

   Tim

Matt Young wrote:

> I am having a bit of a problem with postgresql.  I have been trying to
> reinstall postgres but with no success.  about 2 days ago I install
> PHPpgAdmin.  I could not log in because I did not know the postgres
> username///password.  So I "apt-get remove" postgresql and phppgadmin.  I
> tried a fresh install of postgresql (yes I went through and deleted all the
> directories containing the name "postgres").  After completing APt-GET it
> tells me how to start the postgres server but when I try and start it, it
> returns the following error.
> FATAL 1:  could not read permissions of directory /var/lib/postgres/data:
> Permission denied
>  Or I get
>
> The programs 'postmaster' and 'psql' are needed by pg_ctl but
> were not found in the directory '/usr/lib/postgresql/bin'.
> Check your installation.
>

>        Cheers,
>        Matt Young
>        Associate Technical Analyst /