List:       ipw2100-devel
Subject:    [Ipw2100-devel] Reporting reliable failure of ipw2100 module
From:       Alistair Hamilton <alistair () tyeurgain ! free-online ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-05-30 23:54:36

Hello, developers

I have got a lot of use out of the IPW2100 module, but it is still not
perfect as I am sure is well known.

I hope that I can now help debugging because I have figured out a
situation in which the IPW2100 driver reliably fails to work on my
machine.

It is a Dell Inspiron 8600 - 1,5 GHz Centrino, running SuSE9,1
confugured using YaST except that I have compiled and installed the
latest 0.44 module.

With total reliability, I find that the module will not install if the
machine is rebooted on battery power. It always gives the message in
/var/log/messages:

irma kernel: ipw2100: probe of 0000:02:03.0 failed with error -5

With multiple reboots, it seems to be perfect with AC power on and
always like the above with AC power off.

After a booting on battery power, removing and re-installing the module
*never* gets a working network and often results in a total freeze,
requiring a hard reboot (and a thanks to the creator of ReiserFS).

In contrast, if the machine is booted connected to AC, the network is
there (just as YaST configured it) and the machine does ACPI S3
suspend/resume fine. I also have not disabled C3. It seems to me stupid
to so do since the whole point of the Centrino/2100 is to give long life
on a laptop, and if it cannot do C3, it is fairly pointless.

The only clue that I can offer is that xine on my I8600 does not always
properly play DVB program steams that I have recorded from my DVB card
(on another machine) if the Dell has been booted on battery. Video is
OK, but the audio goes all to pot, sounding a bit like Max Headroom (if
you get the allusion) suggesting to me that there may be some kernel
timing problem at issue. It is fine if the machine is booted while
connected to an AC supply.

I will send any more information on request.

Alistair
--
Alistair Hamilton <alistair@tyeurgain.free-online.co.uk>