List:       ipw2100-devel
Subject:    Re: [Ipw2100-devel] Debian Package
From:       Sebastian Ley <sebastian.ley () mmweg ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2004-05-30 20:43:12

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 09:29:17PM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:

> >> There is no need for a hostap-module. Maybe if one uses wep, but then
> >> the package should rather use Suggest: instead of depend.
> > Good idea. Please file a bug about en optional usage of hostap. I will
> > insert some detection code if hostap-source is installed.
> Well, I'm not sure of this: I mean, if 'hostap-source' isn't installed,
> you should compile the modules without WEP (and 'debconf' should advise
> you that you don't have WEP support without 'hostap-source'). So, my
> idea is the following:
> - - 'hostap-source' is suggested
> - - 'debconf' advises you that you don't have WEP if 'hostap-source' isn't
>    installed (so CONFIG_IPW2100_NOWEP=y)
> - - if 'hostap-source' is installed, no 'debconf' message and WEP is
>   compiled in by default
>
> What do you (Sebastian and all the other Debian users) think?

Yeah, this is what I wanted to express ;-) However I would add a
Recommends which is stronger than a Suggests and drop the debconf note
in favour of a note in the package description.

> I posted on Debian bug #249069 [2] about this subject, because in the
> case of a script to download the firmware is compatible with Debian
> policies, well in this case this script should be included in the
> archive (it's useful for all the newbies). James, what do you think
> about this subject?

FYI: I asked the guys at debian-legal to review the license, if
someone is interested:

Regards,
Sebastian

--
PGP-Key: http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/public.key
Fingerprint: A46A 753F AEDC 2C01 BE6E  F6DB 97E0 3309 9FD6 E3E6