List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 3700) Re: indicating globicity
From:       Dimitry Haskin <dhaskin () BayNetworks ! COM>
Date:       1997-05-23 19:21:07

At 06:06 PM 5/23/97 +0100, (Brian E Carpenter) wrote:
>>- Steve Deering said:
>>
>> I wish to propose the following small change to the rules for manufacturing
>> IPv6 addresses out of EUI-64 addresses: that the "u" (universal/local) bit
>> in the EUI-64 address be *inverted* when forming the interface ID part of
>> an IPv6 address,
>
>I really think this would cause so much confusion and so many
>coding errors over the next 50 years or so that we should
>definitely not do it. I do understand the convenience argument,
>but imagine the confusion it would cause in low level debugging.

I think a lot of confusion and coding errors bound to happen in either
case. I easily can see non-global IDs that appears as global because
implementations "forget" to set the bit on (actually, the opposite error
would be less problematic). The future protocols that want to take
advantage of the "u" bit are better be prepared to deal with this.
Therefore I'd vote to do what is more convenient and sensible with what we
already have.

My $0.02.

Dimitry