List:       ipng
Subject:    (IPng 3699) Re:  indicating globicity
From:       Pedro Marques <roque () cisco ! com>
Date:       1997-05-23 18:45:49

    >> - Steve Deering said:
    >>
    >> I wish to propose the following small change to the rules for
    >> manufacturing IPv6 addresses out of EUI-64 addresses: that the
    >> "u" (universal/local) bit in the EUI-64 address be *inverted*
    >> when forming the interface ID part of an IPv6 address,

    Brian> I really think this would cause so much confusion and so
    Brian> many coding errors over the next 50 years or so that we
    Brian> should definitely not do it.

Brian,
I think that is quite ok compared to the cost of teaching every user
that he must make sure to lit the 'local' bit when configuring an
address. Most people just won't know that they should do it and we
will end up with an incredible number of globally unique '1's and '2's.

Better spend the time explaining things to a few programmers than to users.
Granted, some times we are not that clever, but i think we can manage to
invert a bit in a word.

    Brian>  I do understand the
    Brian> convenience argument, but imagine the confusion it would
    Brian> cause in low level debugging.

I really don't see the problem. After you get the token and generate the
lower part of the address you don't ever need to care about the interface
linklayer address. Anyone that goes comparing IPv6 addresses to interface
layer 2 addresses deserves to be shot anyway.

regards,
  Pedro.