List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: IPFILTER behind ISP's router
From:       Harald Weis <hawei () free ! fr>
Date:       2009-11-21 19:58:42

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 01:53:48PM -0800, Darren Reed wrote:

> Harald Weis wrote:
> | My ''very secure inclusive type of firewall'' works as expected behind
> | Free's freebox, but not behind Nerim's SpeedTouch. Both boxes are
> | configured as routers.
> | Nerim's DNS's respond with bad packets like so:
> | 08/10/2009 11:27:27.898288 fxp0 @0:25 b 62.4.16.70,53 -> 10.0.0.28,62317
> | PR udp len 20 395 IN bad
> | 08/10/2009 11:27:32.897670 fxp0 @0:25 b 62.4.17.69,53 -> 10.0.0.28,59923
> | PR udp len 20 395 IN bad
> |
> | Evidently, the packets get blocked by the very last rule:
> | block in log first quick on $oif all
> |
> | I cannot find out the meaning of ''bad'' and what it responsible for it.
>
> Unfortunately it can mean more than one thing...
> although the list is not very long for UDP packets.
>
> Are you able to use tcpdump for those packets?
>
> Something like:
>
> tcpdump -vvv -i fxp0 src port 53

Sorry Darren, for the big delay. The only reason is that the problem is not
at this location.

Tcpdump is working fine. I've run
tcpdump -A -vvv -i fxp0 -w tcpdump.outN src port 53 ,
where N=2 when firewall is transparent, and N=4 when firewall is on.
Thus, launching ``ping -c 3 www.google.fr'' generates the two attached
files tcpdump.out2 and tcpdump.out4.
I must admit that I am presently quite unable to analyse
the output of ``hd tcpdump.out4''...
Could you please be so kind and have a look at it?

Thank you in advance,
Harald

["tcpdump.out2" (application/octet-stream)]
["tcpdump.out4" (application/octet-stream)]