List:       ipfilter
Subject:    IPFilter on Solaris
From:       "Buozis, Martynas" <martynas () ti ! com>
Date:       2006-11-21 8:00:34

Hello

I have problem with using IPFilter on different Solaris kernel
revisions. Maybe it was already discussed or there is FAQ for it, then
please point me to available information.

Problem is that even latest IPFilter sometimes is not running when
compiled on different Solaris kernel revisions. I did some test and
found that if I compile IPFilter on 117350-16, then I can start on
117350-38 and can't start it on 117350-41. If I compile on 117350-41,
then it is not running neither on 117350-16, neither on 117350-38.

Is there a way how to compile IPFilter to support all possible at least
higher revisions of Solaris kernel? Because I may have problems every
time after applying latest recommended SUN patches in a future. Or maybe
I can forecast somehow that this revision will require IPFilter
recompile?

Any other comments about how to manage IPFilter packages in a big farm
with different Solaris revision levels? I do not want to maintain many
IPFilter packages for different Solaris revision levels and I can't keep
revisions in same level all the time to maintain single IPFilter
package...

Thank you for any comments that would help me.

With best regards
Martynas