List:       intlwiki-l
Subject:    Re: [Intlwiki-l] 3 letter language codes when ambiguous
From:       Roman Maurer <roman.maurer () hermes ! si>
Date:       2003-12-22 8:47:08

Eric Kow wrote:

> 1) Following standards is great, but this is one of those times that we
> need to recognise that the standards are broken and that we should allow
> ourselves the immodesty of doing things our way.

Linux uses two letter ISO 639 language codes and two letter ISO 3166
country codes for locale, if possible, and everybody is happy with that.

Do not think that ambiguity will be gone if Wikipedia would use 3-letter
language codes for there is also such thing as a ISO 3166 3-letter
country code.
--
	Pozdrav,
	  Roman