List:       intlwiki-l
Subject:    Re: [Intlwiki-l] Bosnian language
From:       Roman Maurer <roman.maurer () hermes ! si>
Date:       2003-12-22 8:39:11

Denny Vrandecic wrote:

> Yesterday someone changed the Bosnian word for 'Bosnian' (for their own
> language) from 'Bosanski' to 'Bosnjacki' on their own, on the Croatian and
> on the Serbian Wikipedia. Scanning with Google, there were 120,000 hits for
> 'Bosanski', and some 2,300 for 'Bosnjacki'.
>
> I wanted to ask, maybe someone knows about the difference between this words
> and can point out, which one should be used (this refers to the other
> Wikipedias as well). I wouldn't like to make this wrong, as it is a rather
> touchy issue...

The difference between "bosanski" and "bošnjački", as I see it, is that
the former applies to the country of Bosnia, while the latter applies to
the language spoken by Bosniaks, eg. predominanly people of Muslim
heritage from Bosnia that consider their language neither Croatian nor
Serbian, or to these people.

Disclaimer: I am Slovene native speaker so I might be wrong ... just my
2 stotins.
--
	Pozdrav,
	  Roman