List:       intlwiki-l
Subject:    Re: [Intlwiki-l] Inline language links on non-Wikipedia projects
From:       Brion Vibber <brion () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-08-31 23:37:55

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

>On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 03:40:24PM -0700, Daniel Mayer wrote:
>

>>Eh? wp = WikiPedia. How about making our acronyms less Wikipedia-centric?
>>
>>MediaWiki is not just for Wikipedia, so why should w be the prefered way to
>>link to Wikipedia articles? We should encourage more explicit linking while
>>at the same time not making this too difficult. Thus enwp: is a good
>>compromise and should be preferred over w:en, IMO.
>>

>"enwp" isn't very parsable. It should be wp:en:article not middle-endian en:wp:article.

I'd recommend against using two- or three-letter codes in general, as
this brings the potential for conflict with language codes. (Presently
assigned in the w's: wa, wen, wln, wo, wol. New 2-letter codes will
_probably_ not be assigned, but who knows.)

Four-letter codes like "enwp" would have to all be special-cased at
every installation where you want to link from. Using a common prefix
for Wikipedia (whether "w:", "WikiPedia", "wp:", or whatever) and _then_
the language code requires configuration only in a single place. You can
_right now_ make interwiki links to the Wolof or Low Saxon Wikipedias
from MeatballWiki or anywhere else with a generic interwiki link that
comes to www.wikipedia.org, as well as from any of our wikis. I think
this is a good thing, and points very much in favor of a consistent
prefix:langcode:title system.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)