List:       info-cyrus
Subject:    Re: [POLL] virtual domains and Murder
From:       Jeremy Howard <jh_lists () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2002-07-26 0:15:21

Rob Siemborski wrote:

>Why is it important for the murder to include virtdomain support?  As it
>is, the virtual domains don't support cross-domain shared mailboxes, and
>the true benefit of a murder setup is that it allows a unified namespace
>much larger than a single server.

Well, we have a situation where this makes sense. 80% of our users use
one domain (FastMail.FM) and 20% use other domains (own-domain users,
co-brand partners, etc). There's no guarantee that one of those smaller
domains won't quickly grow, for instance if a co-brand partner made a
better effort of marketing their brand than we do for FastMail.FM's
brand (wouldn't be hard... ;-)

So, we've got a bunch of domains we support, across a bunch of users,
spread over a bunch of servers. Some domains (currently just one domain,
but that'll change over time) need multiple servers, while some are far
too small to have their own server (e.g. families host with just a
couple of addresses in their domain). I don't want to be stuck managing
each domain independently--I want this to all be transparent.

Having said that, this isn't a major issue for me at the moment, because
at least in the short term we'll probably be just patching Perdition to
do the virtual domain stuff--adding domains based on IP, and adding a
default domain if one doesn't exist. The only thing we need not in the
Cyrus distribution at the moment is the ability to have a@b.c style
usernames (although there's patches around, of course).

It does mean that we don't get to share folders across servers,
unfortunately, but we just let people email us if they need to share
with someone on a different server and we can migrate users as required.
We don't envisage a situation where we would ever need more than one
front-end proxy, and even if we did we'd use some kind of replication
technology instead of anything integrated to the proxy software itself.

However, I would like to move to Murder from Perdition when Murder is
more mature and feature-complete, which is why I'm putting in my $0.02
regarding this issue now...