List:       info-cyrus
Subject:    Re: [POLL] virtual domains and Murder
From:       Rob Siemborski <rjs3 () andrew ! cmu ! edu>
Date:       2002-07-25 19:28:51

On 25 Jul 2002, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:

> Rob Siemborski wrote:
> > > So why do people want the added overhead of maintaining a murder, if the
> > > primary benefit-- the shared namespace across servers, is negated by the
> > > fact that virtual domains can't share mailboxes cross-domain?  If a single
> > > domain is big enough to span servers on its own, I'm betting you just want
> > > a separate murder for it anyway (or bigger servers ;).
>
> But for an ISP or HSP (Hosting Service Provider), it would be too
> expensive and require too much set-up time to allocate a separate Murder
> for each customer. The same would apply for setting up a separate
> standalone Cyrus for each customer. Hence virtual hosting.

If all of your customers are large enough to require their own murder, I'm
impressed ;)  For most clients, you could virtual host them on a single
server and be done with it.  However, if one of your customer spans two
servers, they're likely large enough to be given special consideration
anyway (at that point you're talking about several thousand users from a
single customer, when I worked at a top-20 web hosting company in at the
end of the 90s, the largest clients were on the order of 20-30 users).

> First, it certainly is a good alternative to load-balancers or separate
> IMAP proxies, partly because it's part of the same software. If you
> trust and use cyrus-the-imap-server, then why shouldn't you trust and
> use cyrus-the-clustered-imap-server?

Well, for one, cyrus-the-clustered-imap-server hasn't received quite the
amount of testing that cyrus-the-imap-server has.

> My company has been testing an idea that is a little bit more wild:
> load-balancing by network topology using Murder. In short, the idea goes
> as follows:
[snip]

This is a *very* cool idea, though I think it is, for the most part,
orthogonal to how virtual domains should interact with the murder.

If you do get this working successfully, I'd love to hear about it (I'm a
bit concerned that mupdate operations may prove to be a problem for you).

-Rob