List:       info-cyrus
Subject:    RE: [POLL] virtual domains and Murder
From:       Rob Siemborski <rjs3 () andrew ! cmu ! edu>
Date:       2002-07-25 4:44:17

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Jon Benson wrote:

> > designed to support a single unified mailbox namespace, does it make
> > sense to use Murder for virtdomains?
> Yes.

Maybe someone could clarify for me, since I haven't worked at an ISP in a
while (and it seems that everyone who has answered this question has
answered "yes")...

Why is it important for the murder to include virtdomain support?  As it
is, the virtual domains don't support cross-domain shared mailboxes, and
the true benefit of a murder setup is that it allows a unified namespace
much larger than a single server.

Therefore, what's the payoff if you can't have shared mailboxes shared
between domains?  From experience admining both a standalone Cyrus and a
Murder, maintaining the standalone is much simpler, if only because the
number of components is less.  Note that you can still scale cyrus to
multiple servers using "traditional" IMAP proxys or loadbalancers or by
playing games with DNS.

So why do people want the added overhead of maintaining a murder, if the
primary benefit-- the shared namespace across servers, is negated by the
fact that virtual domains can't share mailboxes cross-domain?  If a single
domain is big enough to span servers on its own, I'm betting you just want
a separate murder for it anyway (or bigger servers ;).

-Rob