List:       info-cyrus
Subject:    Re: [POLL] virtual domains and Murder
From:       Joe Rhett <jrhett () isite ! net>
Date:       2002-07-24 22:48:04

> If an admin needs more than one box to support the his/her domains, why
> not just use one server (or Murder) per domain?  Or are people intending
> to have separate backends for each domain, and the frontend(s) simply
> proxy/redirect the user to the correct backend?

Or for the ISP or multi-organization NOC, one Murder of servers that
support multiple domains.

> The reason that I ask is that it will get quite messy if both the
> frontends and backends try to get the domain from the IP.  I can
> envision two different configs for virtdomains and Murder:
>
> user@domain userids:  traditional Murder, where both frontends and
> backends know how to handle the virtdomains
>
> ip-from-domain: each backend/Murder handles only one domain.  the
> frontends simply proxy/redirect the clients to the correct backend by IP
>
> I can do the former, and I think the latter already exists (Perdition +
> Cyrus)

The former is more useful I believe than the latter. If you had one server
per domain, then you have no redundancy and it would be simple enough to
just point each organization at their own server.  So the first idea is the
only one which actually provides new functionality.

I believe that the frontend should get the domain from the IP, and forward
to the backend as a fully qualified address.  The backends only need a
single IP.

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett@ISite.Net                                      ISite Services, Inc.