List:       info-cyrus
Subject:    Re: [POLL] virtual domains and Murder
From:       Michael Fair <michael () daclubhouse ! net>
Date:       2002-07-24 20:57:44

Well we certainly don't want an explosion of IP
addresses wher each machine participating needs
to have one IP per domain.

The first step is clarify what it would mean to
someone to have IP based virtdomains in a Murder.

If someone is using multiple IP based virtdomains
then they are expecting the end users to contact
that IP and no other to connect to the mailstore.

This implies that only one frontend will be capable
of handling mail for that domain.  (This setup is
exactly like you said perdition+cyrus.)

After spending about 5 minutes trying to think of
scenario (auto fail over, ip sharing clustre, etc)
that perdition+cyrus wouldn't suffice and couldn't
come up with one.

The only two meaningful straightforward manners to
handle this that I can think of are:
A) require user@dom.ain
B) Dedicate front end(s) to serve specific domains

I think B would be useful in that SSL certs could
be done properly (at the expense of each front end
having 1 IP per domain it served).

Perdition would only be sufficient if it could
1) offer the client a cert not retrieved from cyrus
and
2) append a domain based on the IP according to the
   algorithm Cyrus uses.

I'm far from a Murder expert, having only read the
docs and some of the protocol, but I can see no
way to make it so an end user can contact any front
end and not supply the domain info, or so that any
front end could honor the IP based domain.

Either the end user supplies the domain,
or domain logins are restricted to the set
of front ends for which reverse lookups have
been specified.

While it is a bit wasteful, if there is a
significantly large client that could benefit
from multiple front end servers I see no
reason why a domain must be restricted to
only 1 IP.  If there were three front end
servers, then each server could have its
own IP dedicated to that domain and reverse
lookups be set appropriately.  DNS could
even be setup in a round-robin to feed any
of the three IPs as long as people from that
domain only accessed the Murder through those
three specific front ends.

The front ends would take care of qualifying
the domain for the backend servers or accessing
the default domain.

It is expected there be only one default domain
per murder.

The advantage to this setup over setting up
multiple smaller murders is that the mail
store can be treated as a single unit in terms
of resource planning and moving mailboxes around
should the need for that arise.

In my scenario it is not expected that users
be redirected to another server but are always
proxied (unless the redirect can redirect them
not only to another machine, but also to another
account as well (the domain qulified account)
in which case the front end is just a pit stop
to get qualified before moving on).

-- Michael --