List:       info-cyrus
Subject:    [POLL] virtual domains and Murder
From:       Ken Murchison <ken () oceana ! com>
Date:       2002-07-24 19:38:06

I started thinking about Murder and virtual domains.  Since Murder was
designed to support a single unified mailbox namespace, does it make
sense to use Murder for virtdomains?

If an admin needs more than one box to support the his/her domains, why
not just use one server (or Murder) per domain?  Or are people intending
to have separate backends for each domain, and the frontend(s) simply
proxy/redirect the user to the correct backend?

The reason that I ask is that it will get quite messy if both the
frontends and backends try to get the domain from the IP.  I can
envision two different configs for virtdomains and Murder:

user@domain userids:  traditional Murder, where both frontends and
backends know how to handle the virtdomains

ip-from-domain: each backend/Murder handles only one domain.  the
frontends simply proxy/redirect the clients to the correct backend by IP

I can do the former, and I think the latter already exists (Perdition +
Cyrus)

I'm interested in hearing what the virtdomain people are thinking.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127