List:       inet-access
Subject:    Re: web caching
From:       Ivan Kohler <ivan-inet-access () sisd ! com>
Date:       1999-04-30 22:07:46

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 02:58:12PM -0400, Eric Stern wrote:

> > > The second machine "assumes" the IP address of the failed machine... :)
> >
> > What do you do if the original machine doesn't crash hard, but reboots?
>
> Same question as "what happens when you fix the original and turn it back
> on?" And the answer is, the second machine will detect the original
> machine coming back up and stop "assuming" its address. Everything goes
> back to normal.

Specifically, how?

Detecting an IP address going away is easy; ping or similar, then ifconfig
the new IP address up locally.

How do you detect it coming back?

(Perhaps you can use a non-duplicate `base' IP address for each machine,
and have them alias any IP a customer would connect to... but I'm asking
how *you* are doing it.)

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan@sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis@navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside