List:       imap
Subject:    Re: IMAP Authentication...
From:       John C Klensin <klensin () MAIL1 ! RESTON ! MCI ! NET>
Date:       1996-10-19 8:28:32

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:40:54 -0400 (EDT)  John Gardiner
Myers <jgm@CMU.EDU> wrote:
> SASL is being reviewed by the CAT working group.  The mailing list for
> that is cat-ietf@mit.edu.  cat-ietf-request@mit.edu to subscribe.
> Lately, people have raised objections about the lack of a
segregated
> X-namespace for non-standardized mechanisms.  I've responded with my
> arguments why such things are harmful and nobody has responded since.
> I cannot see how I can get consensus on this document if people are
> not willing to discuss the issues.

If you want discussion, establish a separate mailing list and, if
Jeff agrees that it is the right thing to do, put the CAT-WG on it.
Then announce it here and to the POP3 mailing list (and maybe the
new FTP one).  Don't expect everyone who is interested in a
particular applications security specification mechanism to invest
in reading the often-esoteric and/or tedious CAT list.

    john