List:       imap
Subject:    Re: [Imap-use] problems 'makeing' IMAP for use with PHP
From:       Dirk the Daring <dirk () psicorps ! org>
Date:       2007-10-13 14:01:00

   Late to the party again, but I have some useful info...

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Mark Crispin wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, aaron@pelsoft.com wrote:
>> $ make gso \
>>       SSLTYPE=nopwd \
>>       SSLDIR=/usr/sfw \
>>       SSLCERTS=/var/ssl \
>>       EXTRALDFLAGS='-R/usr/sfw/lib' \
>>       EXTRACFLAGS='-fPIC'  "
>
> I suppose that you won't take "consider upgrading from Solaris to Linux or
> BSD" as a helpful answer.  Solaris lacks important capabilities that are in
> Linux and BSD, and as a result Solaris will never run the IMAP stuff as well
> as Linux or BSD will.
>
> I don't know much about Solaris, and I have never had much luck with it.

    I've built the entire PINE package on both Solaris 8 and 9, and with
SSL support, just fine. No problems.

    Solaris 8 didn't include OpenSSL, altho with a kernel patch (to add
/dev/[ur|r]andom) or using an EGD it is easily added.

    Solaris 9 (and later) includes OpenSSL by default.

    Now, a disclaimer. As much as I like Solaris, I don't use the
Sun-supplied OpenSSL build. I don't even install it. I build my own, and
that makes sure I have all the headers and libraries. And I link them
appropriately in /usr/include and /usr/lib.

    But that really shouldn't make any difference, as long as the proper
files are available.

    When building, I use the "gs5" makefile and osdep files. The latter
are copies of the os-gen.* files.

    In the pine/ directory, in os-gs5.ic, I change "diskquot" to
"diskquot.sun"

    In os-gs5.h, I make the following changes (these are my personal
preferences and are not needed to successfully build):

 		Change SYSTEM_PINERC to /etc/pine.conf
 		Change SYSTEM_PINERC_FIXED to /etc/pine.conf.fixed
 		Change NUMDEBUGFILES to 1

    In the pico/ directory, I copy makefile.gso to makefile.gs5

    When I build, I use the following parameters:

 		./build SSLDIR=<openssl path> gs5

    There's nothing wrong with Solaris. I use it, I use Linux, I've built
PINE in both environments with equal facility. No need to suggest that the
guy asking the question switch OSes.

Dirk