List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    pdf-files too big
From:       Reinhold Redel <redel.dev () mail ! netwave ! de>
Date:       2001-08-28 13:23:46

I use IM under linux for conversion from pcx-format into pdf. now my little
script has to work under SCO. So I took IM-5.3.7 and compiled it under sco with
gnu-cc.

IM works fine and without any errors. But the resulting PDF-file for the same
input pcx-file is 6 times larger under sco than under linux. I don't use any
other parameters than the filenames on the command-line for the call to convert
on both systems. I thought, that installing zlib and libpng would propably make
my pdf smaler, but it didn't. under linux there are several other libs and
ghostscript installed.

Does IM use ghostscript or any lib from the ghostscript-distribution when GS is
installed for the conversion to pdf? So, do I have to install GS under SCO to
get the same results as under linux? Or are there any other reasons?

many thanks in advance.

Reinhold