List:       imagemagick-user
Subject:    Re: Installation problems with Solaris 8
From:       Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple ! dallas ! tx ! us>
Date:       2001-08-28 13:14:07

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Marty McCoy wrote:

> I also had the same errors with "make" for version 5.3.8 that a previous
> user had with the "colomap" error.  But I had a tar file of 5.3.6 on my
> system, so I tried to install that on a Solaris 8 machine.  I get through
> the configure and make, but when I do the 'make install' I get the
> following error:

[ stuff removed ]

> -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE -DHAVE_CONFIG_H Magick.c
> gcc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'
> gcc: language depend not recognized
> gcc: Magick.c: linker input file unused since linking not done
>
> --------
>
> I didn't specify and compiler flags when I did the configure.  I don't know
> what the flag -KPIC even is.

That is a flag for use with the Sun Workshop C compiler.  You are
getting this because your Perl was built using the Sun Workshop C
compiler but you are using gcc to build PerlMagick.  Perl saves the
compilation options used to build itself for use when building Perl
modules (like PerlMagick).

So, either re-build Perl using gcc, or find the Sun Workshop C
compiler and use that rather than gcc.

Bob