List:       imagemagick
Subject:    Please help installing PerlMagick on Win2k!  Could a missing lCOR
From:       Christopher Caruk <CarukC () DioneCorp ! com>
Date:       2000-08-09 15:06:21

Hello,

	Perhaps someone out there can help me to resolve a problem that
I am having installing PerlMagick (v5.2.2) with ActiveState Perl 5.6
under Win2k (sp1).

o Perl is working and has been working, on this system, for some time...

o I started by downloading and installing ImageMagick-Win2k by:
o Copying win2k.mgk to c:\ImageMagick\delegates.mgk
o Copying magic.mgk to c:\ImageMagick\magic.mgk
o setting MAGICK_MODULE_PATH=c:\ImageMagick-win2k
o and finally typing identify -verbose logo:
o I then extracted PerlMagick from its distribution library and copied
it to my Perl directory
o As per the enclosed instructions I:
o copied Makefile.nt to Makefile.PL
o entered perl Makefile.PL from a command prompt and finally
o entered nmake

On the first attempt nmake complained that it could not locate api.h so
I downloaded the ImageMagick-5.2.2.zip distribution file and extracted
it to my perl directory.  A few of the file in the PerlMagick
sub-directory of this distribution so I have since copied the files from
the PerlMagick distribution into the ImageMagick source distribution
directory.  Following this perl Makefile.pl and nmake almost worked.

The command perl makefile.pl reports:
o Note (probably harmless): No library found for '-lCORE_RL_magick_.lib'
Writing Makefile for Image::Magick

Which I suspect has led to the next problem as follows:
o During the linking phase nmake reports that it can not locate almost
150 external symbols.  The first being "Magick.obj : error LNK2001:
unresolved external symbol __imp__CatchImageException" and the last
being "Magick.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
__imp__SetWarningHandler".
o Next nmake (naturally) complains that it can not compile
"blib\arch\auto\Image\Magick\Magick.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 123
unresolved externals"

I suspect that this is due to the missing library (lCORE_RL_magick_.lib)
as reported by "perl makefile.pl" but can not be sure.  I have scoured
my system (and all available distributions) for this file without
success.

Another item that may be of importance is that the PerlMagick
installation instructions state that I should "Copy \bin\IMagick.dll and
\bin\X11.dll to a directory in your dynamic load path such as
c:\perl\site\5.00502. Next, type...(proceed with the compilation
described above)"

I have copied X11.dll to my perl\bin directory but can not locate
IMagick.dll.  I assume that the point of nmake(ing) PerlMagick is to
create this dll but can not be sure....  The only closely matching dll
that I have found is CORE_RL_magick_.dll.

Please help.

Many Thanks
Chris

Christopher Nicholas Caruk
Dione plc, Head of Advanced Technologies
Dione House, Cliveden Office Village
Lancaster Road, Cressex, High Wycombe
Phone: 01494 429600, Fax:  01494 429650