List:       ietf-vrrp
Subject:    failover time
From:       Bentzy Weissman <bweiss () radguard ! com>
Date:       2000-11-27 6:06:24

I think that under some configuration conditions VRRP will be able to
supply 50 miliSec failover: switch that ensures slave's line is quite
(because of switch
port-mapping "directed" to master)  - therefore slave won't miss any
advr. sent
by master with no delay/colision on line. Moreover, I am talking about
only 2
devices that closely connected (single segment).
Am i wrong ?

Bentzy W.

Aruneesh Salhotra wrote:

> Hi Bentzy
> The failover time in case of VRRP should be kept keeping in mind the
> round-trip time, and other consideration.
> I had worked on supporting VRRP over MPOA. Now, MPOA works over ATM,
and
> bandwidth is also quite respectable as compared to ethernet, still we
had
> kept a time of 5secs for the failure time. So i guess bringing the
time down
> to 50milliseconds would be dangerous, because, because ethernet is a
shared
> medium, and there is no guarantee, that you will get the chance of
sending
> packets. SO i guess you should take the worst case scenario, and
design the
> protocol. Moreover, VRRP doesnt come into action most of time, so
keeping
> more stress on the backup would be extra processing. I guess
concentrating
> more on other protocols and issues is better. I understand that in
case the
> VRRP IP is the only gateway for a LAN (suppose), then becomes
imperative
> that the change over time is kept mimimal, so as to keep the CSMACD
unaware
> of the scenario.
> Aruneesh

"Advertisement_Interval"