List:       ietf-vrrp
Subject:    Re: Skew_Time
From:       Yaron Presente <ypresente () opticalaccess ! com>
Date:       2000-11-23 15:00:45

Hi Amnon,
A Backup router decides that it has to move to Master state in case that
it didn't get any advertisements for a Master_Down_Interval period. if
this interval had been a constant value, then theoretically all backup
routers would try to move to Master state on the same time, and we would
get a longer period of unstabilized LAN.
However, by adding a variable period of time (the Skew time is a value
between 0 and 1 second), a higher priority Backup router (which has a
smaller skew time according to the formula in the RFC) would change state
into Master before a lower one. if the differences in the Backup routers
priorities are configured properly, there is a good chance that the lower
priority backup router would get the new Master's advertisement before
his timer fires.
Hope it made a little sense,
yaron

Amnon Even-zohar wrote:

> Hi !
> Can Anyone explain to me what is the meaning of the term Skew_Time ? .
> I saw how it's computed but I don't understand what it is udes for.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Amnon Even Zohar
> Atidim Technological Park, Bldg.4
> Tel-Aviv 61131, Israel
> Tel:    972-3-645-8595
> Fax:  972-3-648-7368
> E-mail: amnonE@radlan.com

Yaron Presente
Optical Access (http://www.opticalaccess.com/)
E-mail:  ypresente@opticalaccess.com
Phone:   +972-4-9936237
Fax:     +972-4-9890564
www.net2linux.com:
Helping You Master Tomorrow's Open Source Networking Technology Today.