List:       ietf-saag
Subject:    [saag] IETF#90 DICE WG Summary
From:       Dorothy Gellert <dgellert () silverspringnet ! com>
Date:       2014-07-24 16:30:34

DICE IETF-90 WG summary for SAAG

The Dice WG met on Tuesday, July 22nd at 13:00.

Hannes Tschofenig presented slides on the DTLS Profile draft (draft-ietf-di=
ce-profile-03)
This revision addressed several  issues on the data tracker thanks to input=
 from Russ, Mike St Johns and Sean Turner
The current model for the profile draft is that of a constrained device/cli=
ent connecting to cloud based Infrastructure/server that is not constrained=
.   Remaining issue regarding depth of Certificate Chain.   Mike SJ said th=
e depth of the chain should be dependent on the application, and suggested =
4 is reasonable but the number should be constrained.   Sean suggested the =
draft provides a recommendation and language here is (SHOULD).
Reviewers for the profile draft are Sandeep, Ekr, Robert Craigie.

Sandeep Kumar presented slides on draft-keoh-dice-multicast-security-08 & d=
raft kumar-dice-groupcomm-security-00 ,documenting  potential dtls and shim=
 layer approaches as per the London IETF#89 DiICE WG meeting.  Ekr describe=
d dtls layer violations as "phenomenally scary=94=85.

Chairs multicast discussion:  Given the issues on the list and discussion w=
ith our AD, we are revisiting the secure multicast/group security and chart=
er milestone by documenting requirements in a problem draft.  This draft wi=
ll not be standards track. The problem draft will document potential use ca=
ses,  key management, group membership, source authentication.  Other issue=
s:  How to scope or limit or constrain this  to coap, should we provide gui=
dance to the mac layer, how can we prevent this won=92t be used for unicast=
?   Latency requirements?  The problem draft is open until the next meeting=
 in November.

Next steps:  Call for volunteers on the list to author the Problem draft   =
Keep the mailing list engaged in providing input on requirements, issues, a=
nd risks we need to address for group communication/multicast security.

-Dorothy