List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: Trivial problems again...
From:       Fabien Gigante <fgigante () net-cs ! ucd ! ie>
Date:       1995-07-31 16:12:49

>     Still trying to use HylaFax v3.0pl0 under SunOs 4.1.3 with gcc 2.6
>     Dallas Fax.
>
>     [stuff deleted...]
>
>     And something else, dialtest reacts in a stange way : It doesn't complain but
>     doesn't want to show its nice 'ready>' prompt :
>     19 root@portnoy# dialtest -v /usr/fax/spool/fax/etc/dialrules
>     Define AreaCode = "415"
>     Define CountryCode = "1"
>     Define InternationalPrefix = "011"
>     Define LongDistancePrefix = "1"
>
>     But Here is the file :
>     20 root@portnoy# ls -la /usr/fax/spool/fax/etc/dialrules
>     -rw-r--r--  1 root         2190 Jul 28 15:55 /usr/fax/spool/fax/etc/dialrules
>
> "Here"?  The above error message indicates there was a problem in
> reading the *CONTENTS* of the file dialrules; showing us that it exists
> won't help find that problem.  Perhaps you might look inside the file
> and see what causes the parsing problem?  If you cannot figure it out
> yourself (there is a manual page that describes the dialstring rules
> syntax), then providing the contents of the file would likely make it
> possible for someone else to deduce the error.

I didn't think it was usefull to show you the file : It's the default file !
The file that was hylafax-v3.0pl0/etc/dialrules in the tar file :

26 root@portnoy# cmp /usr/fax/spool/fax/etc/dialrules
      /home/dallas/fgigante/src/fax/Flex/hylafax-v3.0pl0/etc/dialrules
27 root@portnoy#

So my problems are not (yet) to figure out the rules...

> Looking at dialtest, it appears that it can only exit w/o printing a
> diagnostic if it encounters an error parsing the dialrules file.  A
> little extra looking indicates that if the file cannot be opened for
> reading then the parser will return w/o printing a message (I'll correct
> this).  Without a dialrules file to try out however that's as far as
> one can go...
I think that the problem is : dialtest can't open the file ! (That's
why I showed you that the file really exists and its permissions mode are ok )
But Why can't dialtest open the file if it exists and is readable by anyone ?
Or (but it sounds impossible) the rules are wrong in the default dialrules
file !!! (No it's definitely impossible.)

> 	Sam

Thanks a lot, Sam...
Sorry about thoses trivial questions but there are some things I can't
figure out !

Fabien GIGANTE
fgigante@dagwood.ucd.ie