List:       hx2000-port
Subject:    RE: Re: [Hx2000-port] Re: Pics - Ken works on a new universal Kernel
From:       Ken Lyons - SplinterFL <SplinterFL () GraphixWizard ! com>
Date:       2007-07-13 13:58:15

 >>Hi Ken,
 >>I am the author of Ramdisk Rescue:
 >> http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/RamdiskRescue

Nice prog.  Haven't tried it but looks very good. Well, you appear to know a lot \
about  the Ipaq and how they boot, etc. I think you are just the person I can bounce \
ideas off and know   what will work on the Ipaqs.

I did a little work  on    Linux on the Palm LifeDrive..but we couldn't get
WiFi  going and my LD finally bit the dust...and the project slowly died.
--(cross-compiling) Kernels are not my strongest area but I'm learning.
-- I'd love  a    make menu-config   on the ipaq, wouldn't have to cross-compile    \
then, but getting all the libs and gcc on the ipaq could be a problem.

My simple goal of getting the project moving keeps getting bigger.
-- From what I've seen the  2200/2400/4700 branch is   both one  device yet three  \
different  configs.    The issue I've run in to in my personal project is  that the \
zImage I use  doesn't recognize  all the various media that holds the  VFAT and EXT2. \

--  The software will work, but only if you are using a supported  brand of CF.

BTW:  yes I do format all my  CF cards as  EXT2,  it's just habit that I refer to it \
as EXT3..[which is what I work with during the day on i686 servers]   (but  EXT2 \
kernels can still read EXT3 volumes and just ignore the journal).

Anyways  after looking at your work... you have already achieved a lot of what I want \
to do... recognize the media. I will dig through your sources and look for clues on \
how to make  a mini-kernel  (1st stage).

My goal was to make a zImage that would work on all the various Ipaq in the common \
hardware 2400/4700.  You mentioned the 2200,  are they on a simular platform as the  \
hx2495?

If not, is there a way to make a mini kernel that would run on almost any ipaq \
                hardware?
-- I have a feeling I'd have to make 20 different 1st stage zImages.
-- I'm guessing/hoping you solved this issue already with your ramdisk  boot.

I think what I'm reinventing is  GRUB in a way.  Get a boot menu displayed   showing  \
what media  is bootable and  proceed to mount it and hand control over to a smarter \
                kernel on that media.
-- if only one  EXT2 is found,  automaticly attempt to boot it.

At least in convential  linux setups, there is a  /boot/   folder that has the  \
'smart' kernel for that device.

Would something like this work?

HaRET ->

1st-zImage(s)  (load, detect  all media, find all  ext2 partitions:
 Then display a boot menu of all valid EXT2 partitions)
User selects which one to boot if more than one is located.
--this could be a pain because now you have to add TouchScreen or Button support in \
                the mini-kernel.
--at this point I just  need it to find ANY EXT2 and boot.

Then the next step would be the big kernal (on the EXT2) which could discard all the \
info from the mini-kernel --maybe retain  the  media mount driver.

This would be the one that everyone would be interested in,  add as many \
moduals/drivers for all the ipaqs, etc.    It would be nice to have a      modular \
'detecting hardware' system   simular to  desktop  boots.

Just rolling ideas,  (and all I originally wanted was wifi, lol)
decided to help everyone else that was  having trouble just booting.

I don't know if this is a step backwards by making a universal zImage that will \
attempt to be  ipaq/media  friendly.  I just can't stand that there are so many  \
zImages  floating around and you have to  find the one that works for each situation.

Thank you,
Ken