List:       hpux-devtools
Subject:    RE: HPUX-DEVTOOLS: Number of open files in a process
From:       Mike Stroyan <stroyan () hpstryn ! fc ! hp ! com>
Date:       2001-04-30 17:06:10

| Yes, thank you very much.
| But in HP-UX 11.0, the element can not be set to zero, since only one will
| be returned by "pstat_getfile". It can be set to the number of maximum
| permissible number of open files give by "get_rlimit".

  I was actually referring to only pstat_getproc() when describing how to
pass an elemcount of zero and an index of a particular pid.  pstat_getfile()
always refers to only one process at a time.

  The pstat man page does describe a way to call pstat_getfile() with an
elemcount of zero to get information about a particular file descriptor.
That is not suited to your task.

  Note that you need to allocate a buffer as big as the elemcount that you
pass in.  If you use the getrlimit() rlim_max value then you will need to
dynamically allocate a buf big enough to hold that many pst_fileinfo structs.

Mike Stroyan, mike_stroyan@fc.hp.com