List:       hpux-admin
Subject:    [HPADM] SD-UX and hpux 10.20
From:       ac () twinds ! com
Date:       1997-08-29 20:16:29

I have taken the plunge to update our systems to 10.20 .  However, I have
run into several perplexing problems.  The first system I chose to update
was running 9.05.

I chose to update using the cold-method.  Therefore I put the 10.20 Core
CD in the cdrom drive and booted from the CD.  Everything went fine and it
rebooted displaying a CDE login banner.

I have two problems however.  First the CDE login doesn't work properly.
It complains about the messaging system not working. I must use a fail
safe to login.

I figured this maybe because I hadn't loaded the Additional Core
Enhancements (July 97) or the Extension Software disk or the Application
disk.  Perhaps there there was something on there it needed.

I have tried various incantations of the swinstall and swreg commands
detailed in the manuals, but alas all I ever get is "<path> is not a
software depot."

I am trying to load the software from the cdrom, mounted locally as
/cdrom .  Every path I give swinstall, /cdrom/path_name results in "There
is no software depot here.

I don't want to copy the cdrom to the hard disk to run it.
I want to make the cdrom a software depot and load the update from there.

The command swreg -l depot /cdrom doesn't work.

The doc implies that the cdrom can be made a software depot,
but I must be missing soemthing.

Can someone enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong.

Thanks.
-arc

Arley Carter
Tradewinds Technologies, Inc.