List:       hpux-admin
Subject:    [HPADM] SUMMARY: "spt" driver for DLT Jukebox ...
From:       sgowda () oregon ! idt ! com
Date:       1996-11-28 2:01:01

Hello,

Actually this is not a summary, since I received only one
reply from Bryan D. Jones <bdj@cei.net>, who suggested that
"spt" driver is already there, just use SAM to add the
driver in.  Thanks Bryan.

I did that and I have the jukebox, including Networker up
and running.  Backups are going on well and I am happy
to report that end-users are also satisfied with the
user-friendly nwrecover interface!

Regarding my other questions, since I did not receive any
comments on them, I will presume the setting that I have
are correct and work around any problems that I am sure
I will face later on.

- Sanjay

My original query:
-----------------
Hello,

We have a DLT Q7 Breece Hill Jukebox with DLT tape drives which
we use in conjunction with Legato Networker 4.2 to back up our
servers.  This is attached to a series 700 server (745 to be precise).

With the OS 9.07, everything was fine and the networker software
recognized the jukebox and we were able to take advantage of the
two tape drives and run them simultaneously.

However after upgrading to 10.10, Legato is saying that we have
to build "spt" driver into the kernel in order to use the jukebox
robot functions.  I have been unable to or missed the patches for
this driver on,

http://support.mayfield.hp.com/patches/html/ptc_hpux.html

I know that for series 800 the patch is PHKL_5406 to install
the spt driver.  Can somebody tell me what the patch is for
series 700 server?

The backups are still going on but the time to backup has
basically doubled.  And I also would appreciate any
suggestions from anyone who have a similar setup
running on their site, like how much data do you backup per
tape (we have set the size as 10 GB), do you use hardware
compression on tape drives (we still haven't figured out
how to, yet - we use UNIX with compression directive instead), etc.

Our configuration:
-----------------
a.  745 server running 10.10 with Networker 4.2 (with Legato patches)
    with a 10baseT Ethernet card (should we upgrade this to 100baseT?)
b.  Q7 Breece Hill Jukebox with 2 DLT 4000 Quantum tape drives (supposed
    to support hardware compression
c.  We are backing up 33 clients (HPs and Suns) at present running
    5 sessions per tape drive.

I know I am requesting a lot of information.  But I will post a
summary and hopefully it can benefit someone who might be looking
to purchase a similar backup setup.

Thanks.

Sanjay